I baked this soft and moist cake full of pineapples and whipped cream, for the first time, on my daughter’s birthday. It turned out to be so good that I decided to write the recipe down, lest I forget it. So here it is.
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 170 gm powdered sugar
- 150 gm all purpose flour (maida)
- 25 gm cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 gm boiling hot water
- 40 gm hot oil
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
For decoration, you will need
- 600 ml fresh cream (Amul or Mother Dairy will also work)
- 4 tbsp powdered/icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Canned Pineapple and cherries (I used cadbury gems as cherries were not available)
- Pineapple Juice
Step 1 – Preperations
- Take the pan which is to be put in the oven, and place butter paper at the bottom. I used a glass square Borosil bowl. Size should be 23 x 8 cm, preferably.
- Preheat the Oven, to 65 deg celcius. Use lower and upper rack heat. We will place the pan at the bottom.
- Keep an empty bowl in the freezer which will be used later to make whipped cream.
Step 2 – Bake
- Crack 4 eggs in a separate bowl and beat them for 1-2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar little at a time and again beat it at high speed.
- Continue for 10-12 minutes till the eggs become thick and fluffy.
- Keep beating and adding sugar little by little.
- Add 2 tspn vanilla extract also, while beating.
- In another bowl, add all-purpose flour, cornflour and baking powder.
- Sift it 4 times, through a sieve.
- Add all these dry ingredients to the egg mixture, one-fourth at a time
- Mix them, using cut and fold method.
- Add boiling hot water and hot oil to the mixture.
- Again mix using cut and fold method.
- Pour the above batter in the lined pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake at 165 deg celcius for 45-50 minutes. (Or until a tester comes out clean)
- Let it cool before taking it out.
- Voila, your cake is ready.
- Slice the cake horizontally in two parts i.e. divide it into two even layers.
- Wrap it in aluminium foil or cling wrap, if you want to store it for some time. It won’t lose it’s moisture this way.
Step 3 – Whipped Cream
- Take 600 ml fresh cream in the cold bowl.
- Add sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- We may also add some pineapple juice at this step, but I avoided it.
- Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Step 4 – Decorate
- Tuck butter paper on the sides, in a square formation. This will help keep the plate clean while you decorate.
- Put a small amount of whipped cream in the centre. It will prevent the cake from sliding.
- Put first layer of cake and pour 4-5 tbsp pineapple juice on it.
- Cover with whipped cream and put a layer of pineapple chunks.
- Repeat with the second layer.
- Decorate the top with your choice of design. Use pineapples abundantly.
- Refrigerate, at least for 4 hours.