I made potato wedges for my daughter’s birthday party and they turned out to be far more crispier and tastier than normal french fries. The upside? They can be stored in freezer for upto a week in advance and leave you free on the D- day. Also they can be baked and not fried for the health benefits.
I will walk you step by step with some important tips which I found missing in most of the recipes online.
Ingredients (for 3 full plate servings)
• 10-12 medium sized potatoes
• Cornflour (for marination)
• Oregano seasoning
• A little olive oil (for marination)
• Peri-peri spices (optional)
• Chilli flakes (optional)
• Basil seasoning (optional)
• Chaat masala (only if you want indian flavour)
1. The most important step is to wash the potatoes thoroughly as we won’t peel the skin. I used an old toothbrush for rubbing and cleaning each potato. A lohe ka joona can also be used.
2. Next, we need to cut the potatoes as shown in the picture. Halve it, then halve each half. Then halve each piece again. Perfect shape for wedges.
3. This step is also missed by almost all the recipes online. Soak the wedges in ice cold water for half hour. This step makes sure that all the starch goes in the water and makes the final dish crispy.
4. Now, drain the water and boil the potatoes till they are 50 to 60 percent cooked. Put salt in water according to your taste because we won’t be sprinkling any salt after frying. They should not be too salty.
5. Now drain them and let them dry and cool down.
6. Prepare marination. Put olive oil, little cornflour (just for coating evenly), oregano seasoning, black pepper, red chilli powder, salt in the potatoes and mix well. You can adjust the chillies according to the guests.
7. This is the time when you can deep freeze them in zip lock bags. Make sure you put as many potatoes in a batch as you can fry in one go. So freeze one portion in one zip lock bag. Also, frozen potatoes should never be thawed as they will become soggy and hence they cant be baked. For baking, you need to use freshly boiled potatoes.
8. On the birthday, just take out one frozen batch and put it directly in hot oil to fry. Keep distance as the oil will crackle.
9. Voila! Garnish with peri peri seasoning, basil and chilli flakes.
Do leave your comments below