My cousin’s daughter had olympic themed party for her 6th birthday. I felt it was a great idea with all the running around and sports spirit.
The best thing was that she managed it at her home only. She has a big roof, although the next best thing would be a garden.
We arrived a little early when she had just finished setting up the games.
The olympics opening ceremony – She made sure that the main events start only when all the guests had arrived. So, whoever came was given a nation’s flag to colour and some snacks. Then the birthday boy ran along the perimeter carrying a DIY paper roll torch. It really set the mood and pumped up everyone’s adrenaline. The olympic fanfare was playing in the background.
1. Relay race – painted tissue rolls served as batons to be passed. Kids were already divided in teams based on the flags they had got.
2. Long jump – colored tape was used to create a starting line. After each guest long jumped, another tape was used to mark their finishing line. The best jump of each team was taken into consideration for finding out the winner.
3. Shoe find – shoes of all the kids were taken and tossed into a bucket. Then the host took the bucket to the rear end of the roof and strew them all around. After yelling go, the kids had to run around, find their shoe, put it on, and come back to base. The first team to complete wins
4. Wrap the mummy – although messy but this game was the most fun. Each team had to wrap toilet paper roll on one of the member in minimum time.
5. Three legged race. She used a dupatta to tie one leg each.
The kids got really hungry by the end of all these games and devoured the french fries, burger and watermelon mocktails.
The cake was also a beautiful olympic themed one.
The party ended with a medal ceremony. Each guest received a participating medal and a personalised sipper bottle.
Needless to say, all the kids had an early night that day.