(Age group – 6 to 12 years)
There have been days when I look at the Sun and ponder how huge our galaxy is. We are nothing but a teeny tiny speck of dust. Speaking of galaxies, outer space comes to mind. And with that, aliens.
Young kids are most enchanted by aliens and space and UFOs. Thanks to all the sci-fi movies. This is what this theme is about. The rules are simple, as always. Games. Cake. Decor. And Food.
One of my friends planned this party for her 8 year old kid. Following are the games she included and I will add a few more.
- Don’t Drop the Asteroid. Things needed : balloons, music and small pieces of paper. The little astronauts have to keep the balloons (asteroids) in air till the music is playing. When the music stops, they each have to grab one balloon. The host calls out a colour and whoever has that coloured balloon, must pop it. Upon popping, they will receive a challenge inside which they have to complete in order to win. You can keep the challenge simple (for little ones) like sing your favourite song in a funny voice, jump 20 times or difficult (for older ones) like say your alphabet backwards, pat your head while rubbing your stomach. She also gave chocolate to all those who completed the challenge.
- Which Planet are you From. Play the game in a large room or roof or front yard. Hide different sized balls, labelled with planet names. The players have to find the balls and arrange them in the solar system order. This game can be played by older kids who have the knowledge of solar system. Alternatively, you can write numbers also, for younger kids. Or you can make index cards with planets’ names and have them paste them on the solar system drawn on board. You can have 2 teams compete with each other or just make a collaborative game. Either way this game was fun and better than treasure hunt.
- Rocket Launching Items needed : Hula hoop or a large ring. If neither is there, a basketball hoop will also work. And paper. Give each kid a paper and tell them to make an aeroplane or a rocket with it. You can also show them how to make it. Then they have to launch their shuttle through the hula hoop. This is played just for fun. No prizes. Older kids can stand farther away and try.
- Alien rock scramble Your astronauts are on a hostile planet and they have to collect space rocks (candies wrapped in aluminium foil and dipped in thick plaster of paris, dried) in this mission. But the problem is the alien guarding them. If the aliens touch you while you are collecting the rocks, you must give all your rocks to him. Collect as many rocks as you can in your space shuttle (a bucket) and distribute these prizes to all. The alien can be 2-3 adults or kids can be divided in aliens and astronauts. Give the alien a mask to differentiate and a small stick as gun.
- Ring the UFO This is just like throwing hoops around a bottle. The team which hoops more number of bottles in 5 chances, wins.
- Mars obstacle course This can be fun only if the obstacle course is properly set.
- Ladder jump This is a rope (training) ladder used by sportspersons. Not the climbing one. Each astronaut has to jump in each box and come out the other side. When every team member has done it, then only you can move on to next round.
- Cone. weave in and out of the cones fast. These cones can be anything.
- Move through a tunnel. (made with bedsheets and tables)
- Throw the wall. Wall can be made of old cardboard boxes stacked high. All of them need to push together.
- Beyond the wall, will they get a prize each. Here, they get their return gifts. It doesn’t matter whether they got the gifts early in the party. At least they were excited and happy.
She gave Smartivity Blast Off space rocket game as return gifts. For more return gifts ideas, click here.
The cake was beautiful and tasty. She bought it from a professional bakery, in the shape of a rocket. The decor consisted of moon, stars, planets and UFDs hanging from the top. These can be easily bought (like diwali star and sphere lanterns) or made using cardboard cutouts. For more decor images and ideas, click here.
So, go ahead… have an out of this world party !!